How Glass is Recycled
May 24, 2017
When you are finished with paper, plastic, or glass materials in your home or business, do you throw them in the trash? These are some of the most common items that can be recycled!
Recycling allows the material to be broken down and reused for new products, rather than be taken to a landfill. It’s important to have proper knowledge of how the recycling process works, so that you can better form a recycling plan that benefits the environment.
Let’s take a look at how glass is recycled:
- Place all glass items that you no longer have use for in your recycling bin.
- Your business recycling service picks up the recyclables from your business and takes it to a recycling center.
- Glass is then separated from other recyclable materials and is taken to a glass treatment plant.
- Glass objects are sorted by color and washed thoroughly.
- The glass is then crushed and melted by large machines.
- Once melted, it can be molded into new glass products.
Here are some interesting facts about glass and its recyclability:
- There is no loss in quality or purity when glass is recycled.
- Glass is made up of materials including sand, limestone, and soda ash.
- The glass items you encounter every day are usually already made up of recycled glass.
- If a glass item is contaminated or if the recycled glass pieces aren’t big enough to meet manufacturing specifications, they may not be able to be recycled.
- Glass makes up 80% of all containers that are recycled by bars, restaurants, and hotels.
- For every ton of glass recycled, over a ton of natural resources are saved.
Want to know what you can do to make the recycling process of glass run smoother? Always make sure that food and other residue is cleaned from glass jars and containers. Peel off any stickers or paper labels that are attached to the glass items. Check out your local recycling center’s guidelines to ensure you’re following proper recycling habits.
Biomedical Waste Services is a business recycling service in Maryland serving the state and surrounding areas. We have been providing comprehensive, environmentally friendly regulated waste disposal solutions since 1987. For more information on how glass and other materials are recycled, or to inquire about our other waste solutions, contact our professionals today!
"I’ve been using Biomedical Waste Services, Inc. for nearly 20 years! I’ve had superior customer service since day one with no surprises on our invoices."
- Dr. Kim