How Plastic is Recycled
Jun 21, 2017
Plastic is one of the most widely recycled materials in the United States. Let’s take a look at the recycling process of plastic and get a better understanding of why recycling is so important!
Step By Step:
- Your plastic items, like an empty soda bottles or food containers, are collected in a bin at your home.
- Recycling collectors visit your home once a week to haul away your recyclable materials.
- These materials are sent to a facility where they are sorted, usually by machines, and separated by the type.
- Plastic recyclables are then broken up into flakes or chips, and then washed to get rid of any remaining residue.
- The plastic is then dried and melted. Once melted, it is are molded into small pellets.
- The pellets are then sold to manufacturers around the country and used to make new products, like pipes, carpeting, fleece, and even furniture.
So recycled plastics can be used to make new items, but in what other ways is recycling plastic and other items beneficial to planet Earth?
- Reduces waste by lessening the amount of garbage that is placed in landfills.
- Requires much less energy and uses fewer natural resources.
- Reduces pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Is cleaner and more energy-efficient than manufacturing new items from raw materials.
Recycling plastics that you use in your home is a very valuable habit, but there is always more you can do! Another way you can do your part is to buy products that are made from recycled materials. You can also make a difference in your workplace, by enlisting the services of a business recycling company. The right company will provide you with marked containers for different types of recyclables, customize a pick-up schedule tailored to your business’ needs, and help ensure that you are making a positive impact on the environment in the workplace.
What sets us apart from other waste management companies? We have a flawless compliance record, offer consistent pricing at competitive rates, and will always be considerate of your business’ needs when it comes to your personalized recycling program.
For more information on how plastic and other materials are recycled, or to inquire about our waste services, contact our professionals today!
"I’ve been using Biomedical Waste Services, Inc. for nearly 20 years! I’ve had superior customer service since day one with no surprises on our invoices."
- Dr. Kim