Why Amalgam Waste Removal Is So Important
Aug 10, 2016
When it comes to the disposal of any metals or waste materials, proper measures should always be applied, largely because these chemicals have the potential to cause a lot of damage. Moreover, proper waste removal greatly cuts down on the chances of suffering from or causing lasting harm to the environment or your local ecosystem.
Unfortunately, with certain materials like amalgam, which is used largely in dental practices, not everyone practices or enforces proper disposal of it. Introduced into the dental field since the 90s, amalgam has been contentiously connected to and held responsible for metal poisoning and for destroying the environment as well.
While it is a mix of different metals including copper, silver, and mercury, and it is hard to clearly know just how it has impacted the environment, the following are some reasons why it is important to dispose of amalgam properly:
Safer for the Environment
Proper disposal of any metal is safer for the environment, largely because while microorganisms do try to break down the metals or products in amalgam, they also release them directly in the environment.
This can wreak havoc to the local ecosystem and also makes it easier for the chemicals in the amalgam to incorporate or react with other compounds in their immediate vicinity. Through proper disposal, the chances of this happening are greatly reduced. It’s always safer and preferable too since our ecosystem is already pretty damaged.
No Chances of Mercury Poisoning
Dental amalgam is a form of mercury although it doesn’t always classify as traditional mercury. Nonetheless, it still has certain compounds, which make it as lethal as the original mercury. While deaths caused by mercury poisoning have been greatly decreased over time, they’re still not gone 100%. Through proper disposal of amalgam, you can ensure that you’re doing your part in helping the environment and reducing the chances of mercury poisoning around you.
Less Chance of Harm
There is still a lot of debate on whether or not amalgam is responsible for mercury poisoning caused by ingesting infected marine life or drinking water that has high mercury content, but it is still better to dispose of amalgam safely, just to be on the safe side.
Dental amalgam should still be disposed in a safe manner owing to the fact that it is harmful to the environment, and can create a lot of complications especially if it comes in contact with any reactive chemicals or compounds.
Make Your Business Look Good
Moreover, with more people becoming conscious of incorporating safe and green practices in their business, proper disposal of amalgam makes you stand out as an environmentally conscious green business. Do your part in looking after the world and the world will look after you.
If you’re looking to dispose of amalgam or any other material which is deemed hazardous to the environment, don’t just chuck it out the window. Pick up the phone and call us on (800) 660-6581 or fill out an online form and we’ll give you a free quote today!
"I’ve been using Biomedical Waste Services, Inc. for nearly 20 years! I’ve had superior customer service since day one with no surprises on our invoices."
- Dr. Kim